General surgery Treatment in Gurgaon
General surgery is a special multi organ surgical field that is concerned with the surgery of abdominal organs like esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, appendix and bile ducts, and often the thyroid gland.
These are grouped together in a single specialty as the dysfunction of one organ often has debilitating effects on other organs. As such the surgeon has to envision all the organs in the abdominal cavity while operating on a single one. A good general surgeon is an expert in the entire body’s structure and function, wound healing, blood flow, infections and the immune system function.
General surgeons also specialize in laparoscopic surgeries, allowing them way more efficient and needed in the surgical team as they can perform the surgery in minimal time with less bleeding and trauma to the patient.
Some of the most common general surgery procedures are:-
- Breast Cancer Biopsy: General surgeons are responsible for performing biopsies on cancer suspected sites or lumps on the breasts to get a confirmation of the nature and progress of the cancer. This can be done either under local or general anaesthesia.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy: Ambulatory Phlebectomy is done for patients suffering from varicose veins. In this procedure, varicose veins are removed from the leg via minute incisions under sedation. This is a minor procedure and does not take more than 15-60 minutes.
- Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy: Sclerotherapy is done to eliminate unwanted or varicose veins, i.e. veins that are causing pain, swelling, etc. and are not vital for the functioning of the limb. This is done by mapping the veins using an ultrasound and then injecting chemicals in these veins to render them dead.
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: Gallbladder stones can cause bloating and a huge amount of pain. In these cases, gallbladder has to be removed. Gallbladder removal is done with minimum invasion by laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Laparoscopic Ventral and Open Inguinal Hernia Repair: Ventral hernia can be repaired using a mesh laparoscopically in order to avoid strangulation of internal organs. This process is very durable and painless. Similarly open inguinal or groin hernias are repaired using a woven polypropylene mesh in order to avoid death of internal organs. This is best done laparoscopically because it reduces the patient’s pain and their healing time.
- Laparoscopic hemorrhoidectomy: Hemorrhoids are swollen veins around the anus that stretch under pressure. Advanced hemorrhoids have to be resected or removed because there is no other medical alternative for them. This is done by laparoscopic hemorrhoidectomy. It is the removal of excessive tissue causing pain, bleeding and swelling laparoscopically.
- Laparoscopic Colon Resection: This is the procedure where part or complete colon has to be removed due to conditions like colon cancer. It is done by making a small incision around the umbilicus region and inserting a camera and laparoscope through it. The procedure is very painless and recovery time is decreased a lot as compared to open surgery.
During a common surgical process, the steps to be followed are :
- Patients are admitted and their entire medical history is recorded. Following this after a proper diagnosis is reached, the surgeon explains the procedure to the patient.
- Next pre-operative preparations such as recording patient vitals, etc. are completed.
- Before the surgery, the patient is anesthetized according to the requirement, whether it is local or general.
- After the surgery is completed, the patient is moved for recovery to the ICU or patient ward.
- After the patient has recovered sufficiently, the rehabilitation process begins and the patient is asked to try moving.
- After complete recovery, the patient is discharged.
Risks of general surgery
Some of the common risks associated with general surgery are:-
- Haemorrhage: During the surgical procedure, the patient might start bleeding uncontrollably. In some cases, the bleeding may be so much that he has to be given donor blood.
- Infection: After the surgery, if proper care is not taken then the incision may become infected. This can further cause septic shock in the patient or cause their recovery time to be extended.
- Pain: Controlling the patient’s pain after the surgery is completed is necessary as too much pain can lead the patient to shock. Pain can be managed using steroidal or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory analgesic drugs.
- Neurological Problems: In some extremely rare cases, the patient may have too much blood loss, causing his/her nerves or muscles to get damaged due to hypoxia. This is termed as neuropathy or myopathy. It is a form of tissue death and should be avoided at all costs.
- Iatrogenic Trauma: Also termed ‘Inadvertent Trauma’, these are the injuries sustained by the patient as a result of the surgery. This includes the initial incision on the patient’s body and any damage the surgeon did in an effort to gain access to the surgical site.
Why come to Neelkanth Hospital
Neelkanth Hospital is a premium healthcare and surgical centre. It has 2 fully functional operation theatres that are well furnished and sanitised after every use. The operation theatres are fully equipped with the latest surgical tools and medicines to help surgeons perform to the best of their abilities.
The Neelkanth generals surgery department also has some of the best surgeons in the state. They are expert and experienced at performing complex surgeries without any difficulty.
The surgical staff at Neelkanth is constantly working hard to provide the best quality of healthcare to all the patients. The surgical nurses and paramedical staff are also very competent and are working to the best of their abilities to help provide good healthcare to the patient.
Treatment done: Orthopedics
My experience was very good in every service offered by the hospital, specially services in comparison of other hospitals. Very good Infrastructure & Staff is very cooperative with patients & their family members.
Treatment done: Gynaecology
We are grateful for all you did to make our dream become a reality! We thank you for going the extra mile to coordinate everything.
Treatment done: Urology
We want to thank you again for everything you did for us through this journey - your caring and kindness, your professionalism and support.
Neha Singh Bhati
Treatment done: Gynaecology
I would like to express my deepest appreciation to Dr. Bindu Garg and his team for creating a pleasant and friendly atmosphere for their patients. And, I would like to encourage those women who are stressed by their inabililty to have a baby.