IVF can be looked at as one of the most popular ways to address infertility in couples especially when they are experiencing it for a long time now. The process of IVF has become quite successful and the thing that has been able to hike up the number of successful trials is the Intrauterine Insemination. The procedure of IUI is not that straightforward and requires a person to know whether they qualify for the same or not.
Who is a good candidate for IUI? How many times should women try IUI?
IUI Treatment is mostly looked at as a suitable treatment meant whether a candidate decides to get this procedure done on its own or in conjunction with the fertility drugs. An Ideal candidate for IUI treatment is a woman who knows how to conceive a baby and:
- Has a moderate level of endometriosis
- Is allergic to semen
- Has a male partner who has enough sperm count
- Has a donor sperm arranged to carry forward the procedure
- If both partners are not infertile
- Have problems related to cervical mucus
- Has a healthy level of hormones
- Have a good number of quality eggs present in her ovaries
- Has a fallopian tube that is not blocked
- Expects positive results from IUI.
Difference between IUI and IVF?
IUI Treatment also is known as Intrauterine Insemination is often looked at as an alternative recommended for couples who are struggling to get pregnant. This is mostly recommended for couples who are struggling with infertility. This technique is widely used these days as a lot of people are going for same-sex marriages who look forward to having the family of their own. These couples usually need a donor who can give them sperm to conceive. The IUI Treatment can be looked at as one of the most simple fertility treatments out there and does not require the patient to go through any kind of adverse surgery. The commonly asked question is: what is IUI treatment? And how does it work?
When sperm is placed into the uterus of a woman. This is done using a very thin catheter. This process is usually performed at the time of ovulation in order to maximize the chances of conception. There are fertility drugs used in this procedure that can stimulate ovulation. The process of IVF treatment is a little more complex in comparison to the IUI treatment and requires people to go for minor surgery for the same. The process involves getting ovaries stimulated using different kinds of fertility medications. The eggs once retrieved can be fertilized using sperm in the lab. The embryo once ready can then be transferred into the uterus.
When you should stop trying IUI and do IVF instead
The IUI Treatment Success rate is quite high and widely suggested by people who are looking forward to conceiving. The process is less invasive and less demanding in nature if you compare it with IVF. This process is much more affordable.
The process of IUI is tried several times by women and the question is, how long before you stop attempting to conceive. Usually, the IUI Treatment Success rate is positive but if that doesn't work out, couples usually move to IVF. Several attempts of IUI are required before you declare it as a procedure that won’t work for you. There are some lucky women out there who will conceive in the first attempt of trying IUI.
If you are a woman who is under the age of 35, doctors usually suggest around 3 to 6 cycles of IUI before you can move to IVF. However, if you are above the age of 35, your doctor might put less money on you being able to conceive through IUI and might move to IVF sooner rather than later. It is recommended to not hesitate from your doctor and have an open discussion with him regarding the IUI situation and the success rate that it may show.
You should always be open to your doctor about the number of attempts that you are willing to try before you start with the procedure of IVF. It is healthy for a doctor to know your limits as this might set the right expectation to the doctor regarding the number of attempts that you are willing to try.
Success rates of IUI and IVF?
It is important to study the real-time statistics before moving to the kind of procedure you want to follow. The success rate of IUI Treatment depends on several factors but if you check the statistics, the success rate is quite less in comparison to IVF.
If you are someone who is looking forward to getting an IUI treatment done, the following are the things that you need to look forward to:
- Women who are under the age of 35 have a higher probability of getting pregnant. The rate goes from 10 to 20% for women who are under 35. If you are above the age of 40, then the success rate tunes down to 5%.
- The number of successful attempts is directly proportional to the number of attempts you may try. So if you are someone who has 60% of chance to deliver a baby through IUI by trying it thrice. The percentage increases to 80% if you go through IUI 6 times.
- Getting IVF done with your own eggs can also be successful if you are trying it in the age range of below 35.
Should you try IUI or IVF?
If you are still confused about whether you should be going for IUI instead of IVF, here are the points that you should be clear about. You should try IUI if:
- You are ovulating normally and in case you are not, your ovulation problem should be solved by taking the normal fertility medications.
- If your fallopian tube is blocked
- If you have a good reserve of ovaries
- If you do not go through any infertility issues
- If you are a couple of same-sex and are looking forward to getting a donor sperm to get pregnant.
- If your partner has a problem of premature ejaculation
All of this should be the points that make you a suitable candidate to get your IUI done. But if you are in your late 35, then it pushes your fertility down and in that case, IUI may not be the right option for you.
A person should straight go for IVF if:
- You are over the age of 38
- If you are using donor eggs to get pregnant
- If you face trouble while ovulating
- If your fallopian tube is damaged.
- If you require to get the ICSI procedure done in order to conceive.
- If your partner goes through the problem of genetics
If you are someone who wants to get pregnant following any of the fertility treatments available out there in the market. The best option is to wait and understand the different options that are available to you. This can be done by speaking to your doctor openly about the choices available to you. The entire process may be tough and tiring but we can only ensure that it is all worth it in the end.