Total knee replacement Treatment in Gurgaon
Facing trouble while climbing stairs or walking due to painful knees?
Consider Total Knee Replacement Surgery in Gurgaon at Neelkanth Hospitals Private Limited to relieve pain, correct leg deformity, and resume back healthily with normal activities.
Total Knee replacement treatment is also known as knee arthroplasty. This surgical treatment is performed for the restoration of diseased knee joints or when the knee is severely damaged by arthritis or injury. The treatment involves the replacement of the damaged knee with metal or plastic implants. It is mostly performed on patients suffering from osteoarthritis.
The knee joint is the largest body joint, and healthy knees help in body mobility and perform everyday life activities. The most common cause of chronic knee pain and disability is arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a disease in which the joint cartilage breaks down. The damaged joint cartilage causes pain and limited motion of the knee. Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammation of the synovial membrane that causes cartilage loss, pain, and stiffness in the joints.
The expert orthopedic surgeon in Gurgaon at Neelkanth Hospitals Private Limited conducts an evaluation of the patient's condition based on advanced diagnostic techniques like X rays, MRI scans, patient medical history, and physical test (knee motion, stability, strength) is performed.
The surgeon will then review the test results and discuss whether total knee replacement is the best option to correct this condition and relieve pain.
Total Knee Replacement Surgery Procedure
In knee replacement surgery, only the surface of the bone is replaced. So it might be termed as ‘knee resurfacing.’ There are the following steps of knee replacement surgery:
- During the procedure, the knee is bent to expose all the joint surfaces.
- Then, an incision of 6-10 inches long is made, and the kneecap or patella is moved aside to remove the damaged joint surfaces.
- The damaged cartilages at the end of the tibia and fibula are removed.
- The removed cartilages are replaced by metal or plastic implants. These parts may be cemented or uncemented into the bones.
- If the condition is severe then, the kneecap is also resurfaced with a plastic button.
- A plastic spacer is inserted between the metal to create a smooth gliding surface.
The surgery can last for 2 hours or more based on the severity of one’s condition.
Who is an ideal candidate for Total Knee Replacement Surgery?
The ideal candidates for knee replacement surgery are those who are suffering from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis. But there are many candidates for whom knee replacement surgery is suitable:
- Experiencing pain, stiffness, and swelling in the knee and needs support for walking.
- Severe damage in the bone.
- Pain does not go away with medication.
- Limiting knee function.
- Suffering from moderate or severe knee pain even while taking rest.
- People of all age groups can undergo this treatment to correct their concerns.
What are the benefits of undergoing Total Knee Replacement Surgery?
- Pain management- Total knee replacement is a very reliable treatment for pain management. It has a success rate of 90% in younger people.
- Improved mobility- Total knee replacement helps the patient to improve mobility. It is very suitable for the person who uses a wheelchair to walk or for climbing stairs.
- It improves the quality of life. The chances of infection are very low.
- It offers long-lasting results.
- One is able to perform activities like running, cycling, and jogging.
- No need to take a rest in bed anymore.
- No more swelling, pain, stiffness in the knees.
- No more pain and frustration due to painful joints.
Types of implants used in Total Knee Replacement Surgery -
There are various types of implants used in total knee replacement.
- Metal on plastic- It is the most common type of implant used in total knee replacement surgery. The most commonly used metals are- titanium, zirconium, and nickel. It is the least expensive and safest.
- Ceramic on plastic- It uses ceramic femoral. The person who is sensitive to nickel implants opts for ceramic implants.
- Ceramic on ceramic- These are least reactive with the body. The femoral and tibia parts are made up of ceramic.
- Metal on metal- The implants are made up of metal. They are mostly used in young and active people because they are long-lasting.
After Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- After the surgery, the patient is transferred to the general ward for observation.
- Then, the patient recovery rate is monitored in the hospital.
- Then, the patient is encouraged to move their leg to improve blood flow and reduce clotting.
- Blood thinners are also injected intravenously for the reduction of blood clotting.
- The breathing exercises are also performed by the patient that increases the activity level.
- The doctor will also suggest some exercises in which the patient will continue after discharge from the hospital to ensure early healing.
Post-op care after Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- The patients are advised to elevate their legs to reduce swelling.
- Painkillers must be taken as consulted by the doctor to manage pain. But only recommended medication should be taken.
- No smoking or alcohol consumption.
- One should not walk, climb stairs, and run without the consultation of the doctor.
- The patient must prevent themselves from falling because falling can loosen the implants and cause severe damage.
- Keep the wound area clean and change the dressings daily.
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor for a speedy recovery.
Other surgery options
There are different types of treatment approaches performed based on the anatomy of the knee and the severity level. There are the following approaches for correcting knee pain–
- In traditional surgery, the doctor makes an incision of 8-12 inches long on the knees. The incision is made in anteromedial or anterolateral of the knee.
- In this surgery, the kneecap is turned over, and the implants replace the damaged cartilages.
- It takes three to five days to recover at the hospital and about 12 weeks of recovery time.
Minimal invasive surgery
- It is performed to decrease the blood loss, trauma to tissues, and less pain.
- It has a speedy recovery.
- Three-four inches long incisions are made, and the kneecap is moved aside to expose the damaged bones.
- Due to small cuts, the healing is faster, and the motion gets better after recovery.
- It is a type of minimally invasive surgery.
- It is less invasive than traditional surgery, and as the name suggests, it also causes less trauma to the quadriceps muscles.
- It is rarely used and is common to patients whose knees are bent outward.
- It is also less invasive than traditional surgery.
- The recovery time for the minimally invasive surgery is 6 weeks, and only 4 days stay at the hospital.
Why choose Neelkanth Hospitals Private Limited for Total Knee Replacement Surgery Treatment?
- Treatment is provided by expert Orthopedist and Joint Specialist
- Short hospital stay
- Minimal scarring
- Affordable treatment
- Enhanced recovery
- Proper follow-up
- Sanitized rooms
- High equipped operating rooms
- Modern equipment
- State of art protocols
- Follow international protocol
- Top class treatment & surgery
Consult now with the best Orthopedics and Joint Replacement Surgeon at Neelkanth Hospitals Private Limited, Gurgaon.
Typically, joint replacements are performed on patients between the ages of 60 and 80, and most are women. But they are not automatically included in the old or the younger. Contact Neelkanth experts for best cost of knee replacement in Gurgaon.
I have got knee replacement treatment in Gurgaon after I fell at a stair. My ligament was operated by the best doctor for knee replacement in Gurgaon. They have very strong knowledge of overall joints. In the first meeting itself, the doctor understood my problem without any test. Then we got the test done for confirmation. Then after the results, Neelkanth doctors performed my knee replacement surgery. His hand is highly skilled. I would recommend him because apart from the best treatment, they also offer pocket-friendly cost of knee replacement in Gurgaon.
My experience was very good in every service offered by the hospital, specially services in comparison of other hospitals. Very good Infrastructure & Staff is very cooperative with patients & their family members.
We are grateful for all you did to make our dream become a reality! We thank you for going the extra mile to coordinate everything.
We want to thank you again for everything you did for us through this journey - your caring and kindness, your professionalism and support.
Neha Singh Bhati
I would like to express my deepest appreciation to Dr. Bindu Garg and his team for creating a pleasant and friendly atmosphere for their patients. And, I would like to encourage those women who are stressed by their inabililty to have a baby.