In vitro fertilization(IVF) is a boon for the couples who plunge to enjoy parenthood but fail to conceive naturally. IVF has been used to treat infertility for over 30 years and has helped numerous couples to have a child. However, the process of IVF has some side effects and risks associated with it.
Neelkanth Hospital minimize the risks and complication of premature birth as they have a team of best doctors in India, Delhi for the infertility treatment.
Why IVF causes Premature Birth
According to the experts, there is no specific reason known why IVF babies are born earlier than normal babies. If the pregnancy phase is over 35 weeks or the health of baby and mother is in danger, the doctor may allow you to carry the baby till the due date. However. if the pregnancy period is less than 35 weeks treatment may be given to delaying the birth. Some researches claim that a combination of IVF procedures and factors of a mother can be a probable cause of the increased risk of premature birth. The factors are as follows:
● Hormonal Changes: Hormones are the human body's chemical messengers that carry signals from one part of the body to another. Changes in hormone levels occur due to the super-dose of fertility drugs that are given to increase egg production in females. Scientists believe that these hormones may affect embryo implantation in the uterus.
● Multiple Embryos: In IVF treatment, there is a possibility of having twins and other multiples. Unlike singletons, twins may be born early irrespective of how they are conceived. Since two or more embryos are often implanted, it may lead to a high risk of preterm birth.
● High Risk of Complications: IVF pregnancies are constantly monitored with the utmost care by both the parents as well as the doctor. As there are a lot of complications associated with such pregnancy, the fertility specialist and parents may intend to deliver a baby early to avoid any chances of mishappening.
● Maternal Factors: Woman who conceives through IVF procedure tend to be heavier than a normal pregnant woman. Also, in general, the woman with increased age go for IVF pregnancy. Both these factors may cause premature birth of the baby.
Reducing the Chances of having Premature baby due to IVF
Although it is not possible to eliminate the risk of premature birth. However, some measures can be adopted to reduce the risk. They are as under:
● Choose a Healthy Lifestyle
A healthy mother can always reduce the chances of delivering a preterm child. Follow a healthy routine that includes a nutrient-rich diet and some physical workout. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption. Maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy increases the chances of carrying a baby until the due date.
● Choose Frozen Embryo Implantation
As far as frozen embryo implantation is considered, only a single embryo is transferred at a time. This makes the rate of cumulative pregnancy high. Also, obstetric risks of multiple pregnancies are less thereafter, improving the live birth rate. Frozen embryos are implanted at a natural time in the IVF cycle while weak embryos may not survive the freeze. According to some studies, frozen embryous have shown better results as compared to fresh embryos.
● Analyze the Options
It is a fact that IVF treatment is expensive. Therefore, implanting two or more embryos may seem to make the most sense. This significantly increases the chances of having a preterm baby. So, elective single embryo transplantation is a better choice.
Related: 5 - Tips on How to Choose Your Right Fertility Clinic
Treatment for Premature Labor
Despite multiple measures to avoid premature birth, you may have to deliver a child early. Therefore, the process needs to handled more carefully now. Below are certain steps involved in the treatment for premature labor:
● Drugs to Reduce Contractions
The babies born prematurely face health problems. Tocolytic drugs are given to the patient to slow down the labor. In normal cases, this delays the birth for a few days. At this time, the doctor gives you corticosteroids or antibiotics to keep the baby healthy. The steroids help in the development of the baby's lungs and brains rapidly. Besides, these drugs have no known side effects.
● Protecting the Baby from Infection
Newborn babies are prone to infection that is caused due to bacteria known as group B streptococcus(GBS). In case your membranes have damaged prematurely, the sac that holds the baby may not be sealed properly. Medications such as antibiotics and steroids can keep the baby away from infection.
● Inducing Labor
There may be a need to induce labor artificially in case there is a risk to the baby's health. Certain conditions that may lead to premature inducing of labor are eclampsia or fetal growth restriction. Inducing may be required especially when the baby is not developing in the womb properly. In case induction fails to work, your doctor may offer another induction or cesarean section delivery.
Pregnancy Treatment always have some risk and complications, but these risk and complication can be reduced if we choose the correct center for the treatment. Visit our centers near your location and consult experienced team of doctors for IVF treatment to minimize the risk of premature birth at affordable cost.
List of Center Locations in India