Best Hopsital for Endoscopic Surgery In Gurgaon
Best Hopsital for Endoscopic Surgery In Gurgaon
Minimally invasive spinal surgeries are generally performed to stabilize and immobilize the vertebral bones and spinal joints, thereby reducing the pressure being applied on the spinal nerves to reduce patient’s pain in debilitating conditions such as spinal instability, bone spurs, herniated discs, scoliosis or spinal tumors.
One of the biggest advantages of performing spinal surgeries as MIS is that the procedure is much faster, safer and reduces the healing time of the patient. It requires just a small incision, which causes very little trauma to the hard and soft tissues surrounding the incision, and hence there is very little bleeding. It can be done as an outpatient procedure. The surgery has a high success rate of over 90%.
One of the biggest prospective advantages of MIS endoscopic spinal surgeries is that there is almost no cosmetic injury. Along with this, there is very little blood loss, there is much less chance of damaging the muscle or the wound getting infected. Patient recovers much faster and very little rehabilitation time is required.
Since the injuries heal so easily, the patient does not need to rely on pain medication and this is a very big attraction to drug addicts. Patients that cannot undergo surgery under general anaesthesia, can also get MIS spinal surgeries as they are performed using local anaesthetics.
Risks of the procedure
Although the procedure is very safe, there are very minimal risks associated with it. Some of the risks associated with MIS endoscopic spinal surgeries are:-
- Patient may react adversely to the anaesthesia
- There may be increased blood loss
- Some patients might develop localized infections
- Since the incision is so small, there might be a chance that the surgery remains successful and has to be followed up by a secondary or full open surgery.
Conditions requiring Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Spinal Surgeries
Minimally invasive endoscopic spinal surgeries are used to treat the following diseases:-
- Herniated disc
- Spinal instability including spondylolisthesis
- Spinal tumors
- Spinal deformities such as scoliosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Vertebral compression fractures
- Spinal infections
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Before the surgery, the patient is given a local anaesthetic in the area where the incision is to be made.
- After that, the patient is laid down in the desired position and portals and an endoscopic camera is inserted.
- During the procedure, the patient might feel a little pain due to puncture in the spinal column.
- Since the procedure only requires small incisions, the recovery time is much lower and the patient is able to return to his regular everyday activities within 6 weeks.
The procedure has to be done with extreme care since any slight miscalculation can cause irreparable damage to the nerves. Since the spinal cord is situated deep inside the body, access to them is gained by moving the muscle tissue, blocking it, out of the way. In MIS surgeries, this is done by making a small incision and guiding instruments in it by using microscopic video cameras.
Some of the most common procedures in MIS endoscopic spinal surgeries are:
- Using a Tubular Retractor : In this technique, instead of cutting through the muscle fibres to expose spinal nerves, the surgeon uses microscopic tubes to push muscles out of the way via progressive dilation. After the surgery is completed, the tubular retractor is removed and the dilated tissues and muscle fibres come back in their place. This technique keeps the incisions small and the exposed area is very little, decreasing the chances of infection.
- Percutaneous Placement of Screws and Rods : In case the patient’s condition is severe, screws and rods might need to be placed to stabilize and/or immobilize the spine in order to facilitate the fusion of spinal bones. While traditionally, this requires an extensive open spinal surgery which exposes a lot of muscle and body tissues, in minimally invasive surgeries, these risks are reduced significantly. The screws and rods are placed percutaneously, i.e. through the skin in small incisions without cutting the muscle underneath the skin, with guidance from x-rays and guidewires. This technique is much safer, especially with the introduction of robotic surgery.
- Direct Lateral Access Route: In cases involving the lumbar spine, surgeons attempt to reach the spine from the side in an effort to reduce the patient’s pain because there is less amount of muscle tissue blocking the way. The patient is laid on his side and a tubular retractor is inserted to enable access to spinal discs and vertebral bones.
- Thoracoscopic Access Route: In order to access the front portion of the spine, surgeons can use small incisions to insert ports and cameras to facilitate the surgery instead of the traditional approach where surgeons had to cut in the chest with a big incision and then remove a rib or two to gain access.
Common MIS Endoscopic Spinal Surgery Treatment Application
Some of the most common applications of the procedure are:-
- Discectomy: In case of spinal hernia, instead of a long complicated extensive surgery, treatment can be easily done by trimming or removing the herniated disc by using tubular dilators along with a microscope or dilators. This also protects the spinal discs from rupturing.
- Spinal Decompression: this is done to correct spinal stenosis to reduce pain, numbness and muscle weakness. It can be done minimally invasively using tubular dilators and an endoscope or microscope or by performing a laminectomy or foraminotomy.
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF): this is performed in patients suffering from refractory mechanical low back and radicular pain associated with spondylolisthesis, degenerative disc disease and recurrent disc herniation by placing screws and rods through the front.
Why come to Neelkanth Hospital
Neelkanth Hospital has a very eminent and detailed neurosurgery department that is equipped with special equipment to perform a wide range of neurological surgical procedures. The hospital, its staff and surgeons are very eminent and experienced. Everyone at the hospital works very hard to provide the best level of care to all the patients. The surgeons are expert at performing spinal surgeries minimally invasively to decrease the chances of patient discomfort. The staff is extremely adept at minimally invasive spinal surgeries. Neelkanth Hospital is the best choice for MIS spinal surgeries.
Treatment done: Orthopedics
My experience was very good in every service offered by the hospital, specially services in comparison of other hospitals. Very good Infrastructure & Staff is very cooperative with patients & their family members.
Treatment done: Gynaecology
We are grateful for all you did to make our dream become a reality! We thank you for going the extra mile to coordinate everything.
Treatment done: Urology
We want to thank you again for everything you did for us through this journey - your caring and kindness, your professionalism and support.
Neha Singh Bhati
Treatment done: Gynaecology
I would like to express my deepest appreciation to Dr. Bindu Garg and his team for creating a pleasant and friendly atmosphere for their patients. And, I would like to encourage those women who are stressed by their inabililty to have a baby.