Pain management clinics are specialised departments in healthcare, focused on the diagnosis and treatment or management of chronic pain. Chronic pain is a syndrome, caused due to a multitude of symptoms and not just a regular disease. Chronic pain has made life difficult for people for a long time. Many people find it difficult to sleep at night or even walk short distances due to chronic pain.
Pain management Clinics can either be focussed on a specific kind of pain or they can be interdisciplinary instead, focusing on the well being of the patient's entire body. The pain management team consists of physicians and nurses, psychologists, physical therapists, occupational and vocational therapists along with nutritionists and dietitians.
Pain management is done using different treatment methodologies such as medicines, Acupuncture, Biofeedback, Cognitive behavioral therapy, Water therapy, Massage and Meditation.
Consequences of Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can have debilitating consequences on a human body. People can develop serious complications as a result of chronic pain. While some time ago, pain was considered to be just a symptom and people used to disregard it by taking medicine, now pain itself is considered to be a disease, treatment of which is a necessity in itself.
Psychologically, it can lead to depression , anxiety, decreased self-esteem and behavioural changes. It can make people moody and unwilling to be social or productive.
Socially, chronic pain can cause marital & interpersonal problems, decreased productivity, unemployment, compromised social roles, isolation, financial burden, dependence and prolonged analgesics usage. All this can seriously affect the quality of life and activities of daily living of a person.
Along with this, chronic pain can also lead to sleeping and eating disorders, making the person weak and unable to accomplish even very simple goals. In extreme cases of malnutrition, chronic pain can even lead to death.
Goals of a Pain Clinic
The primary goals of a pain clinic are:-
- The first and foremost goal of a pain clinic is to reduce the pain and increase the quality of life of the patient.
- The clinic is concerned with finding the underlying cause of the pain to start treating it or if the condition is untreatable, then manage it.
- Ultimately, the biggest goal of pain clinics is to cut off the pain and increase the patient’s productivity, his mood and thereby, increase his standard of living.
Pain Management Procedures
Some of the most common pain management modalities are:-
- Medication: The first part of pain management therapy is to provide short term relief from the pain using steroidal or nonsteroidal pain medication. Once the patient starts feeling a bit of relief, the rest of the treatment can truly start.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is an age-old alternative therapy of medicine. In acupuncture, very thin needles are inserted in various parts of the body at very specific points in order to either relieve or apply pressure on the nerves. Acupuncture has proven to be very successful in pain management.
- Biofeedback: in biofeedback technique, a connection is established between the mind and the body by using either visual or auditory feedback in order to gain control over voluntary actions of the body like blood pressure, heartbeat, etc.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: cognitive behaviour therapy is done to fight the psychological effects of pain. In this, a patient is asked to confront all his negative thoughts regarding himself and the world in order to get rid of them.
- Water therapy: water therapy includes drinking over 1 L of water everyday. This has proven to be helpful for pain management, especially back pain as water is a healing liquid which gets rid of impurities in our body and helps purify blood.
- Massage: Physically, massage therapy is very useful for pain management as it relaxes the muscle and relieves it of any inflammation. Psychologically, massages have proven to be relaxing and decreasing the patient’s anxiety and stress.
- Meditation: Meditation helps to relax the mind and helps the patient to accept his pain. This helps them to achieve a better sleeping pattern and attain a higher state of well being.
Advantages of Interventional Pain Procedures
Some of the biggest advantages of Interventional Pain Procedures are:-
- They provide immediate pain relief in the short term for the patient
- Further treatment is very rarely conducted under anaesthesia
- Pain therapy is conducted over a long time period and is an out-patient procedure.
- It is extremely suited to patients in extreme pain and who are not fit for surgery.
Why come to Neelkanth
Neelkanth Hospital in Gurgaon is one of the only hospitals in Gurgaon to have a fully functioning pain clinic. The pain clinic is well funded and well equipped to deal with all sorts of chronic pain patients. The clinic is connected to an extensive radiology and physiotherapy department so that the cause of the pain can be accurately diagnosed and treated.
Along with physical therapy, the hospital also provides patients with psychological counselling in order to help them deal with the consequences and the physical burden of both the pain and the treatment. At Neelkanth Hospital, the entire pain management team works as hard as they can to heal the patient and increase their quality of life.
Treatment done: Orthopedics
My experience was very good in every service offered by the hospital, specially services in comparison of other hospitals. Very good Infrastructure & Staff is very cooperative with patients & their family members.
Treatment done: Gynaecology
We are grateful for all you did to make our dream become a reality! We thank you for going the extra mile to coordinate everything.
Treatment done: Urology
We want to thank you again for everything you did for us through this journey - your caring and kindness, your professionalism and support.
Neha Singh Bhati
Treatment done: Gynaecology
I would like to express my deepest appreciation to Dr. Bindu Garg and his team for creating a pleasant and friendly atmosphere for their patients. And, I would like to encourage those women who are stressed by their inabililty to have a baby.